Having a medical condition or disability does not automatically entitle you to a mobility parking permit.

You are eligible if you meet the following criteria;

  1. You are unable to walk and always require the use of a wheelchair, or 
  2. Your ability to walk distances is severely restricted by a medical condition or disability. If for example, you require the use of mobility aids, experience severe pain, or breathlessness, or 
  3. You have a medical condition or disability that requires you to have physical contact or close supervision to safely get around and cannot be left unattended. For example, if you experience disorientation, confusion, or severe anxiety.

Your doctor needs to confirm your eligibility unless you are renewing a long-term permit.

There are two types of permit:

Long-term permit

You can apply for a long-term permit if you have a permanent medical condition that affects your mobility. A long-term permit is valid for five years.

Short-term permit

You can apply for a short-term permit if you have a temporary medical condition that affects your mobility. These are issued for a minimum of three months and a maximum of 12 months.

A three-month, six-month or nine-month permit may be extended to a maximum of 12 months from the date of issue. This requires confirmation from your doctor that your mobility is still affected.

How to apply for your permit

To protect you and our staff from transmission of COVID-19, we are not currently processing any Mobility Parking permit applications or payments over the counter or in person at any of our branches.

Mobility Parking permit applications or payments can be posted to:

Mobility Parking Hub
CCS Disability Action
PO Box 267
Christchurch 8140

If you would like help to complete your application, please get in touch. We would be happy to talk you through this simple process.

Phone: 0800 227 200, press 4 for Mobility Parking

Email: MobilityParking@ccsDisabilityAction.org.nz

We aim to send a permit to you approximately ten working days from the date that we receive your application and payment. Due to COVID-19 we are currently unfortunately unable to guarantee this.

Permits can be cancelled if misused.

Please make sure you have read and understood:

First-Time Application Payment Online (for those with GP authorisation number only)

Do you have an authorisation number from your GP? If your doctor has submitted your permit application on your behalf and given you an authorisation number to use for payment, you can pay online

Checklist for this online payment process
To complete the online application payment process you will need:

  • The authorisation number your doctor has given you
  • Credit card or internet banking details

If you DO NOT have an authorisation number, and instead have a completed paper application form signed by your doctor, you cannot pay online and will need to send the completed form together with your payment to your nearest branch.

Renewing your permit

If you have a long-term permit, you will need to renew it every five years. The cost of renewing a long-term permit is $50.

If you are over 90 years old your permit will be free.

You can renew online, using the renewal number in your letter, or post your form to a branch near you. The permit will be sent out to you.

Renew Online

Please note that if you need to update any of your personal details, you will need to contact CCS Disability Action to make the changes before you renew your permit online.

If you receive a reminder letter from CCS Disability Action to renew your long-term mobility parking permit, it will have your permit number and a renewal number.

To complete the online application process you will need:
1. Your renewal number.
2. Credit card or internet banking details.


Renew by post

You can also renew your permit by post or in person

  1. Download the application form, or contact your local branch of CCS Disability Action and we will post a form to you.
  2. Fill in the application form. 
  3. Check with your local branch which payment method they are able to process - and post the completed form to them.

Short-term permit

A three month or six month permit may be extended to a maximum of 12 months from the date of issue. This costs $5. You can only extend a short term permit once.

To extend a short term permit, you need to revisit your doctor and get them to complete page 2 of the standard application form.

You are responsible for ensuring your permit is valid, and will be liable for a $150 parking fine if you use an expired permit, even if you didn't realise it had expired.

Please let us know if you change address as we will send you a reminder 4 weeks before your mobility parking permit expires. Let us know if you change your address by contacting MobilityParking@ccsDisabilityAction.org.nz

Change of details

Change of address

Contact your local branch of CCS Disability Action with your permit number and new address details.

Remember, if you are moving house put us on your list of change of address notifications.

Cancelling a permit

We need to cancel the permit if you are leaving the country, the permit holder has passed away or you no longer need the permit.

Contact your local branch to advise us of the name, date of birth and permit number. Then either return or destroy the permit (e.g. cut in two with a pair of scissors).

To return the permit either:

Post it to: 

Mobility Parking Hub
CCS Disability Action
PO Box 267
Christchurch 8140

Visiting New Zealand

Mobility parking permits from overseas are not recognised in all regions of New Zealand, so we recommend that people visiting New Zealand obtain a visitor’s mobility parking permit.

A visitor's permit costs NZ$35 and is valid for up to 12 months.

How to get a permit

Complete a visitor's application form and send it to us with a scanned copy of your current permit either:

By email
If you will be arriving in the North Island, email the Auckland office.

If you will be arriving in the South Island, email the Christchurch office.

By post
Postal addresses are printed on the application form.

If you want the permit to be posted to your home address, an additional fee will be charged and you need to indicate this when you apply. Please allow at least 4 weeks for processing.

Alternatively, we can post your permit to your accommodation or rental car company in New Zealand (Please supply a reference number). Please allow 10 working days for processing, from when we receive your application form.

If you don’t have a current permit
If you do not have a parking permit in your home country you can apply for a visitor’s permit once you arrive in New Zealand. You will need to visit a New Zealand doctor who will assess whether you are eligible.

If you would like to apply for or renew your existing mobility parking permit, please use our online application services if possible or post your completed form to (Christchurch hub address)

  • COVID-19 icon
  • Donate to CCS - Dollar sign icon
  • Mobility Parking icon - person in wheelchair
  • Library icon - Open book
  • Contact CCS Branches - phone icon
  • CCS Disability Action My Business icon - four jigsaw pieces arranged in a square
  • How's it going icon - question mark
    How's it
  • Access aware icon
  • Lifemark icon - two people in house